Thursday, October 7, 2010

OMGOSH PANTS!

I have a daughter who has issues with pants. Well, waist bands in general. And she's not a big fan of long sleeved shirts. But those are less of a fight than pants. And forget about a 3/4 sleeve shirt. It will make her insane. That I understand.

So back to pants.....

I have no idea what her standard for pants are. Last winter it seemed to be that as long as it didn't zip or button, we were fine. Then suddenly, the rules changed, but no one told me. I was just left with a 4 year old who would scream about her pants not fitting, and then would throw out random words like tight and loose, but about the same pair. I don't think she knew what she was saying, only hoping in her hysteria that those words would some how get me to agree to nakedness from the waist down. It didn't. (BTW, her undies are never an issue. I'm not sure why, but I am grateful.)

So last March and April she mostly wore a pair of 'yoga' pants. Then summer came, and we had the same problem with shorts. I was at least able to get a few pairs of shorts that she liked and didn't have a problem with, and then since it was summer, we had the whole sundress option.

Now we are back to fall, and heaven help me. There are no jeans she likes. I have 2 pairs of capris that she seems OK with. But pretty soon it's going to be cold, and she will have to suck it up and wear the jeans. Or maybe, the heavens will open and there will appear in my home a pair of pants...pants that she likes and meet whatever random criteria she has for pants. I can only hope. Meantime, I dread picking out her clothes with her (or for her) because I know there will be an issue if one of the Magic Pants aren't clean.

Oh, and the kicker on the pants is that this fall, she HATES the yoga pants. What. The. Heck. Seriously? Am I on Candid Camera or what ever the equivalent is now?!?!?

The need for Magic Pants also extends to pajama bottoms. She can only sleep in the shirt part. The pants end up on the floor. This is not a battle I am willing to fight. It's night and hopefully she will stay under the covers. Night gowns are good. I got 2 at a rummage sale JUST in the nick of time. Footie pajamas are hit or miss. As in, one night the pink ones will be OK and the next night the pink ones are "wicked". (In her words "wicked" is the worst thing a person or thing can be called. Today I got a triple (!) wicked after not letting her eat M&Ms before lunch.)

I guess all I can do is pray WalMart puts out their children's collection of sweatsuits. Soon. And that the weather cools off. Soon. And then pray that spring doesn't arrive until my daughter is 20 and on her own and can buy her own pairs of Magic Pants to wear in her Magic House where she can eat M&Ms before lunch if she wants to! Because by then I will be either in a loony bin or on a beach somewhere and I won't care.

But then, Wicked Mommies always care.......

1 comment:

  1. Kim, would she wear a dress and tights? Back when I sailed with Columbus, girls were not allowed to wear trousers of any kind to school. My own daughters often chose a dress rather than long pants, even in cold weather. Good luck; sounds as if you need it.

    ReplyDelete