Sunday, October 3, 2010

Maybe 'one day' is here

So last night we had a couple over for dinner and a bonfire. As I was cleaning the house and cursing every hair clip and silly band  picked up off the floor, a thought hit me. Other than family, no one as been to our house for a meal in about 4 years.

When we first started going to the church we are members of now, we met a couple that had kids almost the exact same age as the two we had at the time. Our girls we 18 mos apart, and I was lonely and constantly stressed out. This other couple was so nice, and their kids were both girls, too. So we had them over. It went well. The kids played, we talked.

Then I found out I was preggers again.

Then I had girl #3.

Then I spent the last 2.5 years surviving.

Not that I don't love my kids, but for me anyway, it was a lot to handle. It was all I could do to occasionally have people over for a playdate, forget about having people over for a meal. Every so often, we would have our families over for dinner, and it would go OK, but I still wouldn't even think about having friends over. The thought would come and go, and I would think, "one day it will be nice, but not now" and move on.

Last night we broke a four year trend. We had friends over. Friends and their super cute little girl. And it went great. And I can't wait to do it again.

Even though I will still probably curse every hairclip and silly band I have to pick up off the floor....

3 comments:

  1. Kim, Thanks for breaking the 4 yr trend. We had a wonderful time. Love ya girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I am remembering correctly (it's been long ago), most couples with small children are eager for companionship, and don't mind if you invite them to eat a hot dog supper in a house littered with toys. I was grateful for anyone who would invite us and two, three...five little ones, or who would come visit. You have done a good thing; keep on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need to keep that trend broken too and have you guys over for dinner as well!

    ReplyDelete