Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Question of the Day

Here's what I want to know: How do you as a mom recharge yourself? And how often? Once a week for a couple of hours running errands? A once a month bubble bath?

It has taken me several years, but I finally realized that a couple of hours alone every couple of weeks is NOT going to end the world or get me on the prayer lists for neglecting my family! It's wonderful to have a chance to be alone, or be with other adults talking WITHOUT kids needing something and interrupting every couple of minutes.

Playdates with other moms are also my bread and butter. Even if we get constantly interrupted, it's an adult connection that after several days of bottles, spit up and whining, are MUCH needed to maintain my sanity. Even now that my kids are past the bottles and spit up, they are NOT past the whining or fighting, so my need for other adult conversation is still there.

The guilt factor, however? Loooong gone.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, I've developed a skill for professionally decorating cakes over these past few years. I've done many wedding and specialty cakes (you can see some on my FB page.) I'm writing you today to offer you a day where I come to you house and bake and decorate a special cake with your girls--but YOU HAVE TO LEAVE! There are many lessons involved, like: the color wheel in mixing colors for the frosting as well as the math skills of measuring, etc. Maybe one day I can come and show you all some pictures to help the girls 'know me' a little and then help them to be thinking about a special cake they'd like to make. How about something for your birthday or Mother's Day, or anytime you need a cake. Let me know--this offer is good for any day in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I average about once every two weeks. I discovered that I like my kids so much better when I get a break from them... and I think it's mutual.

    Wish we lived closer to go out together sometimes.

    -- SJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably crazy, but I've included some indulgences in my weekly tasks that keep me balanced. I take the extra time to hang my laundry out to dry, but the quiet time outside with the repetitive task renews my attitude and the outdoor smell on my sheets at night feels luxurious to me. Lighting a candle while I do chores or a new 0.99 song download to enjoy while I do dishes.

    Also, I'm learning that although I may first want to crash and dive into netflix and chocolate, I recover a lot faster if I skip that and go straight to my Bible. It may not be what I want, but I'm finding it's usually more soothing to me than the other things I'm more inclined to try.

    Finally, when we are finished with dinner, most nights I leave Rob to clear the table and I slip upstairs to use the toilet alone. If I need to or not :)

    ReplyDelete