Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Panda Bears, Oh My!

Today we went to the zoo with a friend that was savvy enough to buy a family pass. Since her family is (currently) smaller than the people that can get in on the pass, she takes different friends with her. Today was our chance, and I think it was the most fun I have had at the zoo in ages.
First off, it was cool. Usually we go when it's already hot. Today was a cloudy 62 degrees, and it was great. There were no school groups or daycare groups to try and avoid. In fact, it was as empty as I have seen it! Lots of times if you go, the animals won't be out or active, but I guess it was the cooler weather- they were all pretty active.
I think the best thing for me was that the kids were old enough to enjoy it. It held their attention (mostly) and there was minimal whining about hunger and thirst (but that may have been because it wasn't 800 degrees). And the SUPER BEST thing? They can all potty on their own. I still help my 3 year old, just so she doesn't clean the floor of the stall with her pants or fall in the toilet (bc that's happened before too), but the other 2 I just pointed at the empty stalls and told them to go for it. (Public bathrooms by the way, GROSS ME OUT to the MAX. But skin washes, so I just try not to think about it and then pop them in the bath as soon as we get home.) It was great. So much easier than one or two in diapers and one to help potty. Or like last spring when I had to help all three pee. Not because they all needed help, but because they had all recently been traumatized by the toilets from Hell an automatic flush toilet and refused to urinate without me in there.

Here's a recap:
Jadyn's favorite: Panda. And watching the elephant poop.
Ava's favorite: Reptile House. And watching the elephant poop.
Hadley's favorite: Birds. And watching the elephant poop.
Mom's favorite: Kids who pee alone. And watching the kids watch the elephant poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment