Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Go, Kimmy, it's your birthday....

You know you are old and boring when you take your birthday money and then make the following purchases:

*new underwear
*pajamas
*actual NAME BRAND lotion
*socks
*kitchen towels

And because you are old and boring, you buy these things at WalMart, NOT the mall. And you make a 'night of it'. By this I mean, after dinner is cooked, cleaned up, kids are bathed and in their pjs, you leave your poor hubby to actually GET them into bed while you head to The Store. Also? No one asks you for anything they see, and there is quiet. The kind of quiet where you can sort of string together thoughts and/or eavesdrop on other people.

Because you are old and boring, you totally appreciate every minute. Hmmm. Maybe old and boring just means you have learned to enjoy the little things along the way. Just don't tell the 20 year old version of myself. She scares easy.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, our 20-year-old selves thought we knew what life was about, and it didn't include kitchen towels from Wal-Mart. I almost said I'd have liked to have joined you... but that would have spoiled your quiet Night Out. :)

    -- SJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. My favorite part is, "The kind of quiet where you can sort of string together thoughts and/or eavesdrop on other people." Bahahaha...
    My version includes that and randomly engaging adult strangers in conversation because I'M SO STARVED FOR IT!!!!!!! I'm sure they all think I'm nuts. Forgive the stereotype but this is NOT the South. Northerners get a little freaked when people they don't know talk to them. In the South I'd get trapped in the produce section looking at pictures of somebody's grandkids...and (now that I've had kids) would love every minute of it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neither old, nor boring. Boring is the chatter of a four-year old for thirty minutes at a time, or overhearing a few teens be silly in their lingo,
    Old is having all the answers and never hearing the questions. You are not old, nor boring.

    ReplyDelete