Sunday, May 15, 2011

Banana Bread and Frozen 'Yogurt'

The past several weeks we have been given a case of bananas a week. My kids could live off bananas, but even as much as they enjoy them, we haven't been able to eat them as fast as we need to before they get funky. I don't ever post my recipes, mostly because I feel like no one cares and/or there are SO many on the Internet that mine would be just 'white noise'. I also don't really think my recipes are special enough to warrant their own post.

However, I make a really good banana bread (from a recipe I found on-line), so I am going to share that. Also, tonight I made a fruity frozen yogurt that is REALLY good, so I'll post that as well. The problem with the FFY recipe is that there is no solid measures for anything I used. I'll just tell you what I put in it, and what I did to the ingredients, and you will have to add more or less depending on your personal preferences.

Fruity Frozen Yogurt:
*fresh sliced pineapple (I used maybe 1/4 of a pineapple and then food processed the HECK out of it)
*(4) bananas (more blender action)
*low fat vanilla yogurt (blend)
*about 1/4 cup (mango) juice (we want to try it with apple or orange juice next though)
*blend
*transfer to something you can freeze it in (if you can resist the urge to stick a straw in it and call it a smoothie, that is!)


Banana Bread
*1 cup sugar
*1 stick of butter (unsalted)
*2 large eggs
*3 bananas
*1 tbl spoon milk
*1 tsp ground cinnamon
*2 cups all purpose flour
*1 tsp baking powder
*1 tsp baking soda
*1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter/spray a 9x5x3 in pan

Cream the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well.

In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in the milk and cin. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Add bananas to the creamy mixture and stir until combined. Add the dry ingredients, mixing just until flour disappears.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Set aside to cool for 15 min. Remove bread from pan, invert onto rack and cool completely before slicing. (Or just leave it in the pan like I do and serve it from there.....)

I actually put it in a bigger dish than it calls for and it bakes faster. I also think this makes a totally acceptable breakfast item. I think it makes a great after blogging snack, too, and LUCKY ME, there's some fresh out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment